Mini IWB Lesson on The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan for Stage 2 (Year 4)
Activity: This activity allows students to interactively develop an understanding of visual literacy in showing how pictures portray emotions to the reader.
Aim: To consider how visual features depict an emotional aspect of the character.
- The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan (picture book)
- The Lost Thing (short film – if available)
- IWB Notebook File
- After reading the picture book or watching the short film (or both), pose the question – ‘How do pictures create/convey feelings?’. Ask students to think/pair/share and discuss their thoughts on this. Get students to share their thoughts and then get students to come up to the IWB to match words/phrases to pictures from the book/film and explain why they think that picture conveys that feeling.
- Extend the activity to include discussion on visual angles, colour and image composition using the next few slides where students construct modelled sentences and discuss their responses with the class as they come to the IWB.
- This activity can be further extended by adding additional IWB slides on other visual literacy techniques that are used to convey feelings in images.
– MR. QUAN